Temp Just Before Getting In The Fridge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hi there

At which desirable ambient temp should a 2 years old Hermann tortoise be at just before entering in the fridge at 5 degrees Celsius for hibernation? Obviously the windown period will incorporate the gradual lowering of the temperature. My question is really to establish how to minimize a thermal choc and optimize a smooth transition when going into the fridge .

Thank you

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:24 PM

I don’t use a fridge anymore, but when I did I used to put them into a cool room the day before and pop them in early morning after a cold night. As I don’t have my house heating on overnight, it would be around 10 -12 degrees. It takes them a couple of weeks to settle properly and if they are in dense substrate such as soil, any shock will be minimal. Hope this helps :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:54 AM

I only use a fridge for my little ones but do the same i have them in a room about 10 degrees the day before and then put them into the fridge early the next morning.  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users