• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hi I started wind down for my tort on thurs. He is 2. Do i do it for 2 weeks or 3. Am I right that I stop good first week and keep temp same. Second week reduce day light keeping temp same. And third week np light or just less heat and less basking hours? What do i put him in fridge in? Thanks
Amanda

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:11 AM

Hi I started wind down for my tort on thurs. He is 2. Do i do it for 2 weeks or 3. Am I right that I stop good first week and keep temp same. Second week reduce day light keeping temp same. And third week np light or just less heat and less basking hours? What do i put him in fridge in? Thanks
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Remind me of his weight again, yes first week heat as normal but no food and plenty of soaks, make sure there's nothing edible left in his enclosure like plants.  :) 

#3 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

Ok thanks Karen. Tiddles is 129g I stopped feeding him from Thurs. Been giving soaks and having fresh water put in his enclosure regularly . He is pooping plenty considering he hasn't eaten since we'd.
Amanda

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Ok thanks Karen. Tiddles is 129g I stopped feeding him from Thurs. Been giving soaks and having fresh water put in his enclosure regularly . He is pooping plenty considering he hasn't eaten since we'd.
Amanda

That's the idea Amanda the wind down is for him to empty his gut of every thing, he needs heat to be able to digest any food he has left it does take some time for them to digest their food.  :) 

#5 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Ok good so I'm on the right track. So from next Thurs am I keeping temps the same but less hours of basking?
Should I wind down for 3 weeks then hibernate for 8?
Amanda

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:46 AM

Ok good so I'm on the right track. So from next Thurs am I keeping temps the same but less hours of basking?
Should I wind down for 3 weeks then hibernate for 8?
Amanda

Hi Amanda, 

Don't over think it, the 2nd week heat and light as normal if he's too active you can lower the basking temp a bit then start to reduce the hours in the 3rd week still giving regular soaks, yes wind down for 3 and hibernate for 8 if every things fine, are you fridge or box hibernating.  :) 

#7 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:07 AM

Hi Karen. I'm fridge hibernating. So second week is exactly the same then last week reduce basking hours. He seems to be doing fine so far.

Thanks
Amanda

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Hi Karen. I'm fridge hibernating. So second week is exactly the same then last week reduce basking hours. He seems to be doing fine so far.

Thanks
Amanda

Yes that's right, have you got the fridge running now and checking the temps.  :) 

#9 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Yes we have. Tiddles is still looking for food but seems ok.
Thanks for your help Karen.
Amanda

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

Hi Amanda,

How's things going have you weighed Tiddles through the start of wind down, and are you giving him regular soaks.  :) 

#11 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hi Karen I've reduced the temp a little as tiddles is still quite active but doing soaks every day and seems to be going well. At the start of wind down he was 129 he is now 127.
Thanks for asking
Amanda

#12 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Hi so Thurs if first day of week 3 wind down. Everything well so far what do i do next week day by day. Is he to be hibernate for 8 weeks opening door briefly daily for air. How often do i check his weight.
It's getting a bit scary now x

#13 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:18 AM

Hello,

I understand that the day before getting in the fridge, you put the tort at an ambient temp as close as possible to the temp inside the fridge. Then the next early morning you put the tort in the fridge. That will make a good transition from outside fridge to into the fridge.

Then let your tort settle for 2 weeks in the fridge, but still open door of fridge quickly for a couple of seconds daily. After they settle, you weight them weekly and you record weights and dates of weights on a sheet of paper.

Hope this helps. My first hibernation will be soon as well. If all basic principles and checks are followed, the hibernation should go well and be successful.

#14 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

Great thank you. So am I reducing day hours each day and temps how do u do this I mean how quickly?
Hope yours goes well too.
Amanda

#15 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:43 AM

That's on the third week I mean about reducing day hours and temps.
Amanda

#16 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hi Amanda

There is a good link which was posted on the forum for an hibernation of juvenile tortoises.

Here is the link below and in that link there is an attachment which includes guidelines for week number 3.

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=7992

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

That's on the third week I mean about reducing day hours and temps.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Reduce the hours by 2 hours a day but leave the basking temp the same, when your at the end of the week and no lights are on you can move him to a cooler room before going into the fridge, soak a few times this week, has he slowed down now.  :)

#18 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

Thank you
Thanks karen yes he has and doesn't come out as early or stay up as long. He usually digs down around 1pm lights go on about 7.30 but I usually leave light on til 3 is this ok.
Amanda

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:07 AM

Thank you
Thanks karen yes he has and doesn't come out as early or stay up as long. He usually digs down around 1pm lights go on about 7.30 but I usually leave light on til 3 is this ok.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Just what ever you've had the lights on reduce by 2 hours a day down to nothing then in a cooler room before putting him in the fridge, your doing fine and he'll be ok.  :) 

#20 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:28 AM

Thanks I think I just needed that bit reassurance with it all being so new. He is a tough little guy so I'm hoping he does well in hibernation.
Thanks again for your help. It's the count down now so will let you know how it goes putting him in.
Amanda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users