Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi Karen
You mentioned light and basking temp, so what do i do in last week windown when I use Megaray bulbs + a Arcadia UV strip.
Megaray bulbs are both light and basking bulb at the same time.
Thank you
Sabina

#22 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi Karen
You mentioned light and basking temp, so what do i do in last week windown when I use Megaray bulbs + a Arcadia UV strip.
Megaray bulbs are both light and basking bulb at the same time.
Thank you
Sabina

Hi Sabina,

In the last week just have the Mega-ray on and reduce the hours daily.  :) 

#23 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks I think I just needed that bit reassurance with it all being so new. He is a tough little guy so I'm hoping he does well in hibernation.
Thanks again for your help. It's the count down now so will let you know how it goes putting him in.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

You'll be fine the first hibernation is always the worse, keep me updated.  :) 

#24 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

Hi karen. Today after reducing heat by 2 hours each day tiddles only has light on from 7 30 til 9.30 then tomorrow nothing is that right until he goes into fridge on Wed?
It's so scary isn't it. Amanda

#25 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Hi karen. Today after reducing heat by 2 hours each day tiddles only has light on from 7 30 til 9.30 then tomorrow nothing is that right until he goes into fridge on Wed?
It's so scary isn't it. Amanda

Hi Amanda,

How long were you having the lights on for when you started to reduce them,  when did you start reducing heat as that seems quite fast to get to no lights.  :) 

#26 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hi Karen it was from 7.30 til about 3.30 and started reducing Thurs x

#27 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:25 AM

Hi Karen it was from 7.30 til about 3.30 and started reducing Thurs x

Hi Amanda,

Leave the lights on a couple of hours over the next few days to get you over Christmas, then Tuesday put some where cooler and into the fridge Wednesday morning, make sure you weigh Tiddles before going into the fridge and give a few soaks before hand as hydration is a must.  :) 

#28 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:03 AM

Thanks Karen. Is the light not on long enough. I thought u had to do daylight hour you know for the lamp is that not right? Thanks for your help. I am doing daily soaks should I do a couple a day?
Amanda

#29 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Hello

When ambient temps/light/heat are being reduced daily in the last week of windown, what is the temp of the water you soak the torts in?

For example the normal routine outside hibernation preparation is that I soak the babies daily in the morning in tepid water at about 40 degrees Celsius and after 9-10 minutes I put them in new water at around 40 degrees celcius again. I renew this cycle until 20-30 minutes of soaking.

Thank you

Sabina

#30 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hi Karen Tiddles is now in the fridge. He was 126 when he went in so only lost 3 g during wind down. What do i need to do now. Is it open the door once a day for air. When do i weigh him again?
Thanks amanda

#31 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hi Amanda

I have posted an hibernation plan on the forum a few minutes ago today. Here are below a few bullet points:

During hibernation - what to do:

• Monitor temperature in fridge. During the whole hibernation period the optimal temp inside the fridge should be 5 degrees Celsius. Tolerable range: 4 to 6 degrees Celsius.
  • Every day open and close quickly the door to renew air. 2 seconds is enough and won't alter the temp inside the fridge.
  • Let the tortoise settle on the first two weeks, no need to touch it or weight it during these two weeks.
  • From week 3, weight very accurately the tortoise weekly and write down weight and date on a spreadsheet. During hibernation, weight should be rather stable at optimal temp of 5 degrees Celsius. If loss of weight it should be a linear loss (i.e. very slow and gradual over the whole hibernation period), and below 10% of total weight of the tortoise at entry in the fridge, and this 10% max linear weight loss should be over the whole hibernation period.
  • Any sudden drop of weight could be urination or a last poop located at the end of colon and which was expelled.
  • If urination happens, the tortoise must come out of hibernation, because it is an important loss of water and implies high risk of dehydration and could be fatal. (Water is life).

How long are you planning to hibernate your tortoise?

#32 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hi thank you that is very helpful
I was planning on 8 weeks but is it ok for longer if they are ok. My tort is 2 I mistakingly said 3 and it's his first hibernation and very worrying and scary. I just want to get it right. I wound mine down for 3 weeks as he is 129g at the start of wind down so a bit big for his age really.
Thanks again
Amanda

#33 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

As this sounds scary for you and this is the first hibernation, I would play it very safe and aim for 8 weeks. it will still be very beneficial for the tortoise metabolism and better be safe than sorry.

Also when you keep your tortoise outdoors 24/7 in a secured enclosure from end of May to mid-September with a proper shelter (dry and also heated in the morning and heated when needed according to weather and your location) and with your control on food quantity and food quality, your tortoise will only grow very little outdoors.

An over-sized/overgrown tort won't get smaller/slimmer even after hibernations each year, the shell and bones have grown, and they cannot shrink.

With no criticism and looking at the weight of your tort, it is currently about 60gr bigger than it should be, so almost double of the normal weight for a two years old who weights about 70gr . However there is still great hope and you can slowly realign the weight/growth of your tort closer to the normal range over the next few years with food quality (nutritionally adequate, fibrous and varied), and control on food quantity (sufficient, absolutely no extra), hibernations (which will be longer as it gets older), and with outdoors living during warm months. Does it makes sense?

Sabina

#34 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yes he will be going outdoors in summer too and I know what you mean. He is alot bigger but I've had a lot of issues with them since I got then with bullying etc so hopefully now be able to get him back on track. I appreciate your help thanks.
Amanda

#35 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:21 AM

Hi Karen Tiddles is now in the fridge. He was 126 when he went in so only lost 3 g during wind down. What do i need to do now. Is it open the door once a day for air. When do i weigh him again?
Thanks amanda

That's great Amanda, 

I normally open my fridge twice a day once on a morning once at night just quickly, keep a check on the fridge temperatures at all times in case they change, once Tiddles has settled you can weigh him weekly and just give him a quick check over, you'll be surprised how fast the weeks go by.  :) 

#36 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

Thank you Karen. I will do that.
Amanda

#37 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Hi do i need some water or anything in fridge for moisture? I have a bottle of water in with lid on. Tiddles seems settled do i leave him completely for 2 weeks just opening door twice a day. Amanda

#38 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:07 AM

Hi do i need some water or anything in fridge for moisture? I have a bottle of water in with lid on. Tiddles seems settled do i leave him completely for 2 weeks just opening door twice a day. Amanda

I have bottles of water in to help keep the temps stable but don't have any water in, I do make sure the soil in the box isn't dry though I have that a little moist.  :) 

#39 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:56 AM

Thanks karen. The soil is moist but not wet if that makes sense .
Amanda

#40 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

As always, humidity is crucial in tortoise keeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users