• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Access

Access

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

Hullo, I have hibernated my wee Herman for the 1st time this year. He's three years old and 75cm weighing in at 136gms. (After Hibernation). I brought him out after 7 weeks, watered him, fed him, chatted with him. Then he decided to slope off to the furthest darkest corner of his hoose, burrowed in and went to sleep for the last couple of days.

I did move him out to the lamp for a wee while concerned that he has a food inside hm. Anyway hes had a wee bit more to eat and drink and returned to his burrow. i presume he wasn't ready to come out of the fridge yet then? Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me. Thanks.

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Please can you restate the figures? Not sure what you mean by 75cm.
Also was there a reason why you took out your tort out of hibernation after 7 weeks?
Thanks

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hullo, I have hibernated my wee Herman for the 1st time this year. He's three years old and 75cm weighing in at 136gms. (After Hibernation). I brought him out after 7 weeks, watered him, fed him, chatted with him. Then he decided to slope off to the furthest darkest corner of his hoose, burrowed in and went to sleep for the last couple of days.

I did move him out to the lamp for a wee while concerned that he has a food inside hm. Anyway hes had a wee bit more to eat and drink and returned to his burrow. i presume he wasn't ready to come out of the fridge yet then? Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me. Thanks.

I think your numbers are slightly out there. Could you measure and weigh him again please? Had he lost weight and that’s why you go5 him up? On waking from hibernation they need lots of bright light and good ambient temps to wake them up. Did you do this slowly over a 24 hour period? If not and it was all done rather quickly he probably would want to go back to sleep. Keep his surroundings as warm and light as possible and gently wake him each morning for a warm bath, which often gets them going and let us know how he’s doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users