Video - Adult Hermann Emerging From Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Video comes from Youtube (Source: THBfriend)

This is an adult male called Yugo. He was adopted by THBfriend when he was already an adult.

He was 30cm underground for his hibernation.

You can see how damp it was underground by looking at him and the soil he is covered with.

#2 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Yugo showed up by himself or have you digged him out?

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

That illustrates perfectly just how hydrated they should be in hibernation. Sometimes a tortoise hibernating this way will actually weigh more after hibernation than before. When hibernated artificially many tortoises lose weight because of the way they are stored (for want of a better word), illustrating that something went slightly wrong.

#4 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

Well, little ones often weigh more after hibernation, but adults? Never realized this.

In German forums you often read that the carapace is attacked by fungus when they hibernate too wet.

And if it freezes where the tortoises are hibernating and it is rather dry, they can cope with some negative degrees for a short time.

But if it is too wet, they, too, become ice. So, I think, the place for the winter should not be too wet and not too dry. Under my relatively large cold frames they can choose where to dig. In the middle it is dryer than at the outside "walls". But don´t ask me, what they choose, because I don´t see them in winter. Some come out dry and clean, others come out with soil on them, but not that much and wet as Yugo. But if Yugo loves such a wet bed,..... hehehe - what can we do?

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

Yes, even adults can weigh more after hibernation, it’s not really related to age, but their condition when going into hibernation. They are very good at finding the right spot. Even in my hibernaculum I find they prefer the damper areas on the whole. Soon be time to come out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users