Urates?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Yeeeessss! Brilliant, very good that you took actions straight away! :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

If you have enough spare substrate you can create deep layers for the baby to dig in at night, so that he can be covered in humid substrate.

Now you need to make sure the substrate is maintained damp and soak your baby 30 minutes everyday in tepid water to get hydration level up. 

Would be nice to see a close up pic of your baby.

Thank you for your efforts and your listening. Please update us on the urates texture.

Sabina

#22 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

Attached File  20180112_121311.jpg   22.67KB   0 downloads
This is Gladys.

#23 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Gladys is a little cutie.

She shows early signs of pyramiding. But you can stop this continuing by making sure there is enough humidity, she sleeps under the humid substrate so that her shell absorbs humidity from the substrate, supplement with Nekton MSA, and sufficient UV exposure. Give high fibrous weeds. One small leaf each day, is sufficient, no extras no treats. Try to give a different leaf daily.

Do you have plantains for example?
Which list of weeds do you have?

When she grows the yellow pale growth line on the marginal scutes should be as thin as the line of a sharp pencil. So that she grows slowly as she is supposed to. If the line looks thicker adjust food quantity.

#24 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Do you have pics of her plastron, the underneath of her shell please!

#25 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Sorry I don't have pics of her plastron but can you tell me what you are looking for? Starting to think this little lady is doomed. I have been to buy cococoir this evening and the packaging says not suitable for tortoise. I feel like I've entered a minefield and Gladys is going to be a casualty.

#26 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Sorry I don't have pics of her plastron but can you tell me what you are looking for? Starting to think this little lady is doomed. I have been to buy cococoir this evening and the packaging says not suitable for tortoise. I feel like I've entered a minefield and Gladys is going to be a casualty.

#27 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:25 PM

Please also post of pic of the cococoir with label and ingredients in it. We can have a look at it.

Gladys is not doomed, and you are a good carer, and there is nothing wrong to be on the learning curve, we are learning everyday. Plus you are open minded and you have done a lot today for her.

#28 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

I didn't buy it. Gladys is partially buried in her substrate tonight and I've given the rest a good soaking again tonight in hope that this helps. What live plants can i put in for her?

#29 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

Oh that is good news!
Grass plants called carex are good because they are not eaten by tortoises, and not poisoning. Relatively cheap as well.

#30 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

Thank you will let you know how things are going tomorrow. Hoping this little lady can be put back on the right track.

#31 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

You need to buy it from pet stores or the one from Ikea is good. You can get it online. The reason I asked for plastron pics was that I felt it might not be a hermanni tortoise. Is it a pet shop buy? Is there a little claw on the end of the tail, or little spurs/horns on the top of inner thigh? You are not doomed lol, all will be fine :)

#32 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hello just a quick update Gladys's urates are normal.

#33 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hello just a quick update Gladys's urates are normal.Also added a pic of plastron.

Attached Files

#34 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

This is really good news about the urates getting better, well done!

Please continue daily routine/discipline on soaking everyday your baby in tepid water for 20-30 minutes, and watch humidity of the substrate in the indoor enclosure (should be damp i.e. not too wet, not too dry).

Any questions on husbandry, food, concerns about the health of your baby please ask on this forum.

Also eventually an indoor enclosure with a base in plastic would be better because wooden enclosures and water is not a good combination due to mold.

Thank you 

Sabina

#35 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

Hello

Another advice, here is a pic of the plastron of a well hydrated baby tortoise, it is smooth. I posted it for you as a visual reference, i am sure your baby will get back its smooth plastron with your dedicated care.

Sabina

Attached Files

#36 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Oops sorry for late reply. Yes your little one is hermanni boettgeri. Keep up the soaks and I’m sure all will be well. Don’t let the little one dig in under the lamps. Switch off lights before she digs in for the night anD she should go off to a cooler are. It all helps with good hydration and smooth growth. Good luck. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users