• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Micha2011

Micha2011

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Hi, im New to the forum and wanted to ask a question about lighting. I have just purchased a 100w Mega Ray bulb which came with a 22cm deep dome lamp fixture. Is this appropriate for my 4ft tortoise table? I only ask as it looks huge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lian

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi Lian,

First Megaray bulbs are the best for tortoises, so very good choice, well done.

It should be fine as long as:

- On the soil under the lamp, the optimal temp should be 30-32 Celsius.

- Away from the lamp optimal temp should be 20 Celsius.

At night, no lamp, no heat, lower indoor ambient temp as much as possible, but not below 10 Celsius at night for example, when not hibernating.

Assuming you have a young Hermann tortoise, maintain damp substrate as babies require good level of hygrometrie/humidity. But always provide an area when it is dry.

What substrate are you using?

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any further questions.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Hi, im New to the forum and wanted to ask a question about lighting. I have just purchased a 100w Mega Ray bulb which came with a 22cm deep dome lamp fixture. Is this appropriate for my 4ft tortoise table? I only ask as it looks huge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lian

Hi the bulb will be fine, did you get the holder from Mega-ray as well.  :) 

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

Thanks
Lian

Yes it’s fine. Think of it as the sun, it needs to cover a fairly large area, otherwise the tortoise will have too much shade. So long as there are some shady areas left with lower temps and higher moisture it will be fine.

#5 Micha2011

Micha2011

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Thank you, that’s reassuring. Yes, I purchased the lamp from Mega Ray and i’m using a topsoil substrate which I’m watering with a small watering can to keep moist under surface level. Things going okay other than Myrtle being a little selective about which weeds he’s willing to try and some problems trying to find and identify weeds given they are not yet flowering.

Thanks
Lian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users