- - - - -

Eating substrate what does this mean

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Isn't Andy Highfield supposed to be "it" on tortoises? If this is what he says then why the big gasp when we all mentioned we feed tomato occasionally, he talks about more fruit than I imagined he would.

#22 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hello Sarah
Sorry I haven't answered before I missed these extra threads to the mail I put on about tomatoes.
First of all I am not telling you not to give your tortoises them, if it's really hot in the summer I on the rare occasion give them to my adults for extra fluid, What I want you to understand is that most of the people on here have baby or very young tortoises, this is the time when particular attention needs to be paid to the diet more so than when they are adult. Their shells and intestines are very vulnerable.

This part is for the others and Piglet too, You mention Andy Highfield in approving tomatoes as part of a 10% fruit addition to a med tort diet. Andy will be the first to admit that in the past few years things have changed dramtically for captive tortoises, the most common one being the med tortoise's.
Andy, Jill Martin and Lin King went out to Turkey to try to define a good diet for the med tort
I suggest you read this.
http://www.tortoiset...les/webdiet.htm

I also went to Lin Kings sitte to see what she had to say, I copied this from page 18 of her rearing med torts booklet.

page 18
Fruit such as tomatoes, apple, plums, peaches and melon should be avoided as the sweet, wet conditions created by these foods often cause certain gut flora to ‘bloom’ resulting in gut irritation signalled by rather wet droppings often containing undigested food, This is both unpleasant and detrimental to your tortoise’s health.

I'm not trying to dictate to you or anyone what you feed a tortoise on,
All I ask is that you don't put it on such as here, where new people trying to learn about torts, take everything you say as gospel. 90% of these people have little torts.
If I am wrong about something I will admit my mistake and move on, I listen and learn from others, you're never to old to learn, I try not to let my pride stand in my way :-)
So hopefully you will learn something from this and store it up top
:-) so that if someone comes along in a few weeks time you can help them and know you've done it right.
I've tried to put this mail in a way so that you can see I'm not coming down on you, I'm trying to help you on to the right track, I hope I've managed it, if I haven't I'm sorry, the last thing I want is to upset you
Arnie

#23 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi arnie totally understand perhaps my thread on dietry fuits was a little misguided , yes i certainly belieave any fruit in baby or juvenile herbivour tortoises i.e hermans, med-spurs,horsfields,and leopards etc is not recommended at all these animals need the maximum dietry in take of high fibre food in the form of weeds to attain a smooth growth with plenty of calcium carbonate and d3 prefreably in the form of natural warm sunlight ,i have never fed any fruit to any herbivour tortoises juveniles only adults on the odd occasion ,and any animal i rehome the new owners are given strict instuctions on the correct dietry management, just read the thread through and it does sound like people including me have given misguided ideas on fruit in take for mediterranean tortoises
Darren(piglet)

#24 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

Hello Daren

My hat is raised to you, I know, like me, you want to help people with looking after their tortoises.
I had to learn the hard way, you have to be so careful what you say.
Even with a good diet I still haven't found the art of getting perfectly smooth shelled little one's, they are so vulnerable for the first 5 years. it's a learnning curve all the way. :-)
Arnie

#25 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

I agree with what you said Arnie, I do give my tortoises a tiny bit of tomato (half the size of a thumb nail) which is covered in limestone flour therefore giving them extra calcium. I do this once a month or once evry two weeks, as stated before it is a tiny bit and i find it is a good way of getting extra calcium in. I am not telling people to feed their tortoises tomato as part of their regular diet as it will cause alot of problems but a tiny bit once a month will not do any harm especially covered in limestone flour. Every body to their own

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users