- - - - -

Help with my new tortoise

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-01-06 AT 10:36 PM (GMT)]Don't no why pansies are on the posioness plant list but they are edible , the domestic or ornamental pansy more so as its active ingredients are grately reduced with domestication;
Wild pansy or heartsease is a common european weed that is naturally grazed by med tortoises its active ingredents consist of saponins these are natural soaps they are produced through the sap i suppose if they were eaten in huge amounts they could cause colic the reason they may be on the posioness plant list they also contain tannins these are often used in herbal medicines as an aid to stomach upset may be they help to releive colic caused by the saponins . other ingredients are mucilage and flavonoids these are basically natural plant sugars and defences against soil bacteria neary all plants contain them

#22 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:34 AM

Thanks, P1glet, for such a thorough explanation. I'm going to continue to give pansy flowers, especially at this time of year when they help to provide variety in the diet.

#23 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

I'm getting this site checked out, but judging from the lumpy Stars on the first page they are not that up to date on diet care
Arnie

#24 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

Thanks, Arnie. I thought the stars looked lumpy, but thought maybe they were rescues. The care sheet for Russians looked OK to me.

#25 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Yep, wild pansies have smaller flowers too so maybe they mean them, will still feed them to our torts as they love em :)

#26 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hi
Another thing i just thought of when my tortoise falls on his back he struggles to get up shall i put a piece of wood under the bark or is carpet better just to help him out.

Thanx also for telling me about bathing him he seems to really enjoy it :7

#27 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hi
I have took the doors of my tortoises vivarium and would like to make it like your tortoises enclosure could you please tell me what plants to put in and should i take out all the bark chippings in there?

#28 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi honey, glad to hear you've taken the doors off. Most prople choose either 50/50 top soil and play sand mixed as a substrate for torts, others prefer Hemp or Auboise as it's sometimes refered to. It would appear from different posts that some have changed to Hemp but are going back to good old sand/soil as this seems to work better but it's personal choice.Some have just an area of bark chippings but it's not something we use. As for plants you can plant some sedums and pansies in the enclosure and torts will eat these but they may just get trampled on by torts lol. Better to grow some T Ladys seed mix and put that in for the tort to eat. If you go to the caresheets on this forum you will see a list of plants that are suitable for torts, some you can plant in their enclosure. Hope this helps:)

#29 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for all your help i really do appreciate it. Thanks heaps:7 :7

#30 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

Some say that a sand/soil mix thats deep enough will halp the tort to dig sideways when it's on it's back thus helping itself to turn over. We have used all sorts of methods, carpet being one of them, bark chippings don't have much grip to em so maybe change the substrate and put a small piece of carpet just until they get the hang of it, and they will.:)

#31 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

I have my blind tortoise on top soil and sand then abrk chippings on top, he is climbing everywhere even on top of the other tortoises, when we watch him he is always falling on his back, but when we get home from work or dont go in the tortoise room for a while he is never on his back, this is because he can right him self on a uneven substate.

#32 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Where do i find the care sheets on this site? :)

#33 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

Here you go honey.

http://www.hermann-t...care_sheets.htm

#34 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

I was just looking at the link you gave for the caresheet and found something that might open to misinterpretation. Under "Overwintering" it says: "Any tortoise which is underweight or suffering from an ailment should not be hibernated, but overwintered in a vivarium." I expect that this doesn't mean a fishtank type set-up, but a lot of people might think of a vivarium as one of those glass tanks. Would it be better to just say "should be overwintered indoors" and then give a brief description of a tortoise table with the necessary heat and light etc.? Maybe I'm being fussy, but so much time is spent trying to tell people not to put their tort into an enclosed tank-type environment, and the word 'vivarium' does conjure up that image.

#35 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Nina honey it probably means that if a tort is very underweight, not eating or sick in any way, it is sometimes better to put into a more enclosed set up to help the tort recover. Alot of tortoise owners will say that any of their torts would only be put into a vivarium if these things were happening and at no other times. If a tort is sick it's better to keep it warm and sometimes a normal enclosure isn't suitable. I understand your thinking and it makes perfect sense but I suppose it's like any sick animal, you have to change the set ups to suit the condition. Not unlike Birds in some ways, when they get sick you have to put them into a "hospital cage" which is enclosed and has heat etc but it's not something that would be suitable in normal conditions. But I get where your coming from, in the end you have to judge illnesses in torts as they come and do what you see fit to help the animal recover quickly and fully.:)

#36 Guest_ston73_*

Guest_ston73_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

arghhhhhhh
having been talked into buying a viv initially, and using it for 2 days, I have just sold it on (but emphasised that is must not be used for tortoises!)
now having read the above,beginning to wish I had kept it, especially as tilley isnt too well.....
cant win!!!
not my week this week !!!
feel an open fronted carboard box coming on !! ha ha
claire:) :)

#37 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hi
I was just wondering if you no what the ideal weight of a two year old tortoise is?

#38 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

What speices are we talking about please?
I have a two year old Ibera, just weighed in hibernation. Weighing 52grms.

#39 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Hi
He is a hermans

#40 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

If hermanns then my ibera weight would be similar in hermanns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users