Help with my new tortoise

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hi
I have never had a tortoise and i am sorry to keep asking lots but my tortoise does'nt appear to go toilet in his home. When i gave him his bath tonight i noticed him going and it was like a white poo is this normal or is there something wrong with him?

#42 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

From the tortoise trust:-

The white substance is urates (concentrated uric acid). It's a perfectly normal product of protein metabolism, but if it's being passed more than a couple of times a week, it can indicate too much protein in the diet.

Urates should be anything from totally liquid, to about the same consistency as toothpaste. If they're hard or gritty when they're expelled, this indicates dehydration (which is common in terrestrial species kept in vivaria) and if left untreated, dehydration rapidly proves fatal. The tortoise should be bathed immediately by standing it in a bath of shallow, luke-warm water. This should be done daily, until the urates return to normal. Generally, this bathing should be done two to three times every week (more often for hatchlings, who can dehydrate more rapidly than adults).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users