• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnd

johnd

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

Hi we have had flash for about a year she was given to us by a friends son. He had her stuck in a small Viv and not really looked after se we took her in along with a bearded dragon.
She was very small and I was told 4 to 5 years old and weighed 45 grams now up at 190 grams.
Here is some pics for you

Attached File  20180726_221901.jpg   48.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20181020_161741.jpg   38.15KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20190630_172922.jpg   52.55KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20190630_172940.jpg   52.94KB   0 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:21 AM

Hi John, welcome to the forum.  :)

Well done for taking Flash on, it's lovely to see her in the garden enjoying the natural sun this is the best thing you can do for her, what set up do you have for her now, have you removed the wood chippings substrate, also what diet is she having now as she seems to be coming on better now. x  :)

#3 johnd

johnd

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:41 AM

At night and cold days she lives indoors with a heat lamp and uv in a large converted Viv with no glass.
Topsoil substrate watered every couple of days,theres a log to climb over and a piece of cork bark she likes to hide under and move around and slate to clamber on.
Food is dandelion and weeds from the garden that she finds when roaming around, A little bit of kale now and then and a small amount of pellet as a backup if there is no food at all.
Day time is the whole garden or this at
The momentAttached File  20190701_072310.jpg   38.5KB   0 downloads

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Well done for taking her on John. Try to slow her growth down a bit though, because even though she was underweight to start with, she’s now grown rather fast, which can affect her internal organs if it continues ;) Have you seen any little swirly patterns on her shell as she’s grown?

#5 johnd

johnd

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:10 AM

Not noticed any swirly marks on her we did have a red line on the underside and it was soft.
She dident hibernate last winter as there was a big problem with worms and verg small so she went to the vets. He noticed the line and thought it might be septisemia so a test was done and came back all clear. That was in December January.
She has been on rassions since to slow her growth and the redness seems to of gone and the shell has hardened quit nicely.
Have you got any pics of the swirls your on about so I can check her over.

#6 johnd

johnd

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

After reading through the forum I constructed a larger outdoor area at the weekend this is all the space I can give up for her and after diging out 3 ton of contaminated soil and plants it's all she is going to get. its 2.4 meters by 1.4 meters with a cold frame with an auto opener, the soil is top soil and play sand mix slightly sloped to face south and the fence runs east to west. This seeing shall get some plants grasses for her to hide under.

#7 johnd

johnd

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Flash has had a great summer outside she has a cold frame with auto opener. a 100w heat lamp for cold rainy days and a 1ft greenhouse tube heater set at 12 degrees ish for the now cold nights.
Now how long can she stay out for the autumn or do I just let her do her own thing? she is very active at the moment and i don't want to upset her if I can help it.
I have tried to upload a pic but I can't get it any lower than 2.4mb

#8 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM

That's great to hear John. You have been pro-active, you did your own research for what is good for the tortoise and implemented the right equipment for her.

I will leave other who keep their tortoises outdoor until hibernation reply to your question.

Would it be the first time that this winter that you hibernate this tortoise?

Thanks

Sabina

#9 johnd

johnd

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Hi yes last year she was to small to have a sleep and had a very bad case of worms but this year she will get one.
I'm thinking box method as my fridge is quit small and full i have a large shed and three lofts where she can go.
It's just a matter of how long the sleep is and when to start the wind down.
I'm on the south coast so it stays quit warm untill Dec Jan ish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users