#1 Barny

Barny

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

Hi All

I have a 9 yr old male Hermann tortoise - lost his sister last year :(

From a hatchling he has been gradually hibernated in the fridge from October to Feb then put under the heat lamp until May then put out in the rather large safe garden with flower beds and lawn, to forage and generally have freedom until late August and then the cycle continued.

Last year I could not find him - last saw him late July - finally found him late September underneath the petunias - not like him to bury.

I made the decision (as he hadn't eaten since July) to put him under the heat lamp and feed him all winter.

He went back into the garden in May this year but all he now does is bury himself - missing hibernation? I have found him several times and have washed him fed him put him back in garden

I now cannot find him - again- 

if /when I find him do I just leave him - all winter?  !

How can I get him back on track - hibernate winter - be active summer

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:11 AM

Hi Barny

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.

I am unsure in which city your tortoise is based. I assume your tortoise is a Hermann one.

The first question that comes to my mind is: do you have a heat lamp in a shelter, like a shed or cold frame or similar, in the outdoor enclosure?

The weather has not been great until recently, and to help the torts based in UK for example, and meet their physiological requirements, we have these in the outdoors enclosures. Otherwise they won't be able to get optimal body heat at 30-32 Celsius degrees, and they will be rather inactive, unable to eat normally etc...

Sabina

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users