#1 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

AUOKER

4.4 out of 5 stars  5Reviews

AUOKER Reptile Carpet, Brown Reptile Terrarium Liner Mat Substrate Bedding Fits All Sorts of Gecko, Bearded Dragons, Lizards, Iguanas, Anoles, Turtles, Snakes - Made of Natural Coconut, 24 X 16 Inch

And this is the coconut fibre carpet i am referring to.
Hope I've done this correctly and the links work.

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

Hi Aud,

The best way to approach questions like that is to think of what tortoises have in nature. Basically, they have the ground with soil as a base, and gravel/small stones, rocks, plants, piece of woods etc

I would advise you to buy top soil and create an indoor environment that resembles to what a tortoise has in nature.

What kind of indoor enclosure do you have for your tortoise?

Thank you

Sabina

#3 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

I have a tortoise table which includes a bed compartment,a heat and uv bulb and the main part of the table i use the Komodo terrain. Any plants i put in it do not last so i am thinking of purchasing tropical plant thing i saw on amazon which although artificial is weighted so it doesnt topple and apparently tortoises like it in their enclosure.

#4 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Is normal top soil available from garden centres suitable? Would i be required to put a liner type material over the base of the table first to help protect it from moisture etc. I thought the tropical terrain was better than top soil as it was specially developed for tortoises but am i wrong in my thinking?

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

Is normal top soil available from garden centres suitable? Would i be required to put a liner type material over the base of the table first to help protect it from moisture etc. I thought the tropical terrain was better than top soil as it was specially developed for tortoises but am i wrong in my thinking?

Hi yes just buy topsoil from any garden centre, or I buy the Westlands topsoil from B&M stores, you could line the table first to protect the wood, you can use pond liner or some thick type plastic sheets, also the soil needs to be a good depth.

Things like tropical terrain and other products bought from pet shops are not always the best, just because they sell them doesn't mean it's good it's just a money making racket. x  :)

#6 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

Excellent. Thank you so much for your help. Can i now just ask what your opinion on the artificial tropical plant thing is? I will try to forward the link

#7 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Komodo

4.3 out of 5 stars  37Reviews

Komodo Jungle Canopy

Amazon'sChoicefor "tortoise accessories plants"

#8 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:38 PM

Articial plants are far from ideal because there is the risk of eating them and ingesting plastic.

I find that when I plant grass plants in the soil in the indoor enclosure they do fine. For the grass plant I go to my allotment plot and dig out some grass still attached to soil and replant them in the enclosure.

Also I add cactus in pots (crassulas and cactus pads).

Hope this helps.

Sabina

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:10 AM

Excellent. Thank you so much for your help. Can i now just ask what your opinion on the artificial tropical plant thing is? I will try to forward the link

Hi Nic,

I wouldn't go for plastic plants as said above the tortoise will try and eat these, when I had hatchlings in a table I used to plant Carex grass plants these worked really well, also some say spider plants work great also, in my shed I have Yucca plants as these are a bit taller so work well for bigger tortoises, hope that helps. x  :)

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

Never use any artificial plants, substrate, food etc, they’re all really bad for tortoises.

#11 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

Thank you all for your help and advice. Please can i just ask wizzasmum to clarify what you mean by artificial substrate? I am presuming topsoil and natural coconut fibre substrate are okay and that manmade reptile carpets are a big no no. Sorry but would hate to do anything wrong or detrimental to the tortoise.

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

Yes reptile carpet is really bad, it’s just a commercial product intended to make money out of you. Topsoil and coir are a great mix :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users