• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:27 AM

With the weather meant to go downhill after this weekend onwards, I think it's time to accept that

for Tank the summer is over :(

He's not been too happy outside for a week or so, if he comes out of his house he buries himself

so it's time to get him on his table and keep him going until we start the wind down and hibernation.

I'm so looking forward to getting the greenhouse finished for him over the winter, it's going

to be so much better for him :)

Is anyone else doing the same?

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

Yes doing the same, my two 4 years old juveniles are going indoors this weekend, then will go in hibernation in the fridge in early December for 3 months.

Sabina

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:04 AM

With the weather meant to go downhill after this weekend onwards, I think it's time to accept that

for Tank the summer is over :(

He's not been too happy outside for a week or so, if he comes out of his house he buries himself

so it's time to get him on his table and keep him going until we start the wind down and hibernation.

I'm so looking forward to getting the greenhouse finished for him over the winter, it's going

to be so much better for him :)

Is anyone else doing the same?

Mine live outside all year in a heated shed, the weather looks lovely for the next few days so hopefully they'll be outside enjoying the last of the nice weather.

I have the lamps on in the shed most of the time now but they still have the option to go outside if they want too, I don't like to give up on summer until I have too as I hate winter. x

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

I’m keeping mine going as long as possible, but despite the good weather theyre not eating much. They know it’s that time of year. Wish I could hibernate through winter like my shelled friends.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:54 AM

I’m keeping mine going as long as possible, but despite the good weather theyre not eating much. They know it’s that time of year. Wish I could hibernate through winter like my shelled friends.

Mine are the same not eating as much and no where near as active, but I like to drag this summer out as long as possible  :lol:  it would be lovely if we could sleep till spring miss all the cold weather out. x

#6 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

My 4 years old got back to live indoors this morning...

Pics attached.

Sabina

Attached Files

#7 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

Great pics

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:33 PM

They’re looking so good Sabina, you should be proud of yourself :)

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

This is all thanks to the valuable advices I received from the members on this forum. So I am very grateful to all of you guys and your shared experience and shared info.

Sabina

#10 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

My one is the same, she lives outdoors full time but has access to the shed overnight and in the winter, but I've definitely noticed that she's going to sleep at night earlier, her appetite is still big though (in fact she eats like it's her last meal!) but I've noticed a difference too.
I'll be starting her wind down for hibernation in November and I'm sure that will be here before we know it!
🐢

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users