• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

hi ive been struggling to get my horsefield food in my local supermarket is there any food that I can buy that lasts a while as a back up for emergency

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:25 AM

hi ive been struggling to get my horsefield food in my local supermarket is there any food that I can buy that lasts a while as a back up for emergency

Morning Gary,

Sorry for the late reply, Horsfields really want to be eating a natural diet where possible, you can still find weeds at the minute yes there's not as many but you can find them, the only things that you want to be feeding from the shops is Florette crispy salad and this only wants to be used as a last resort.

Never feed dried food as this is normally too high in protein and causes excess weigh gain which you don't want especially for Horsfields are you planning on hibernating him this year. x

#3 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Thank you I nor get him wild rocket or water Crest i dont like to give him weeds when I dont know what's been on them and I dont hibernate him but he does dig down in his top soil for a while and comes out when hes ready also what's the best calcium powder to give him I've just changed his light from Arcadia d3 to a mega rays

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

Thank you I nor get him wild rocket or water Crest i dont like to give him weeds when I dont know what's been on them and I dont hibernate him but he does dig down in his top soil for a while and comes out when hes ready also what's the best calcium powder to give him I've just changed his light from Arcadia d3 to a mega rays

Hi,

I pick weeds from a few different places and have done for over 12 years, I just make sure I wash them before feeding them, normally at this time of year the councils ect don't spray them so it's better, but I do understand where your coming from.

Wild rocket is ok, but Forrett is the better one to feed, if your not hibernating him then you want his weight gain to be minimal over winter, they don't do well gaining a lot of weight all year round, so keep an eye on his weight and don't overfeed him.

The best Calcium I've found is limestone  flour and  chalk, plus through winter it's also best to use Nekton MSA as well for D3 while he's not getting much natural sun. 

Here you go i always order from this lady as she keeps tortoises herself. x   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Kilo-Lump-Chalk-Limestone-Flour-Nekton-MSA-Calcium-Pack-Tortoises-FREE-P-P/132931749481?hash=item1ef3598669:g:WWUAAOSwxN5WVFi2 :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:35 AM

Attached File  BCG SEEDS..jpg   76.67KB   0 downloads

Also you can buy seeds here, and plant them now well if this rain ever stops, that way they'll start to come through nice in Spring. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users