• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:32 AM

Hi, as my hermanne tortoise won't be going in to hibernation this winter could I ask if anyone has fed their tortoise, Shelled Warrior's, Tortoise Just Flowers Mix, ready to feed, only flowers. I thought this might be a good product to sprinkle over the few freshly picked leaves that I can still lay my hands on, to give him some extra variety in his diet. I think it is advised to dampen it before feeding. I would be most interested to hear the views of others. Thanks.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:03 AM

Hi, as my hermanne tortoise won't be going in to hibernation this winter could I ask if anyone has fed their tortoise, Shelled Warrior's, Tortoise Just Flowers Mix, ready to feed, only flowers. I thought this might be a good product to sprinkle over the few freshly picked leaves that I can still lay my hands on, to give him some extra variety in his diet. I think it is advised to dampen it before feeding. I would be most interested to hear the views of others. Thanks.

Hi,

I wouldn't feed this as it's still been dried out, at the minute there's still a few weeds about and you would be better sticking with them, and if you get where your finding it hard to find them then for short term only Florett crispy salad is ok to add, if your not hibernating for what ever reason then I would try and keep weight gain minimal to no gain if possible, it's not really healthy for them to gain weight all year round, hope that helps. x

#3 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:38 AM

Thank you. Instead I will buy the Shelled Warriors Quick Growing Seed Mix and see if I can get it to grow during the winter months. Worth a try at least. I remember once reading that it is very important to ensure that if growing from seed that the seeds are from a reliable source to ensure they will be the correct weeds for the tortoise. Would you say these ones would be okay? Or is there a seller that comes highly recommended? Again many thanks.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:46 PM

I wouldn’t buy or use this or any other commercial product, as the composition of leaves and flowers changes in the drying process and can actually become toxic in some cases. If you only have the one tortoise there is usually sufficient wild food around to keep it going through winter. Remember you are not looking for weight gain over this time, but a stable weight to fall in line with hibernation.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

Thank you. Instead I will buy the Shelled Warriors Quick Growing Seed Mix and see if I can get it to grow during the winter months. Worth a try at least. I remember once reading that it is very important to ensure that if growing from seed that the seeds are from a reliable source to ensure they will be the correct weeds for the tortoise. Would you say these ones would be okay? Or is there a seller that comes highly recommended? Again many thanks.

The only seller I would use is Herbiseed who sell Linda Kings Mediterranean tortoise mix. Once you have a good selection growing you will never need to buy seeds again as they will either continue to grow perrenially or will set seed which grows the following year. I’d recommend this little book, which shows all you need for a healthy tortoise www.tortoises.net

#6 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:03 AM

Thanks very much for help and guidance.

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

You can either buy the Herbiseed that Sue has talked about, or this is also a good place to buy seeds, i wouldn't buy mixed packets of seeds apart from the Herbiseed, single packets are better other wise. x 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users