Jump to content


Member Since 23 Dec 2013
Offline Last Active Sep 29 2015 10:45 PM

Topics I've Started

1St Time Hibernation

29 September 2015 - 12:32 AM

Hey everyone, I've decided I'm ready to put Little foot down for hibernation, as he is becoming slowly and digging down, its getting colder here. Just a few questions.


What is the best way to store a tortoise?


He seems very healthy, weighing around 2./5 pounds, tested negative for worms, and no signs of runny nose. Anything I should be looking for?


Best way to wind him down for hibernation?


When should I wake him up?





23 September 2015 - 01:01 AM

Hello everyone! It has been awhile since we've chatted, I wanted to update you all and tell you Littlefoot is doing wonderful. Hes really settled in and as a new tortoise owner I can now say I understand what I'm doing  :P I put in a picture in case you want to see how he looks. :)


Now, the even better, possibly scary news.


I've had my tort for a little over two years now, and I think I am ready for another, there is another russian at my local humane shelter, and I was wanting to give him a home. I know it probably would not be best to keep them housed together, since they are both males, and I would most likely get another enclosure for him. He does not have a name, and looks healthy when I went to look at him. I would love to get your advice on housing him and Littlefoot, as well as if its a good idea overall, with how much they cost and how much time put in.


Thanks, Hannah

Littlefoots First Hibernation

26 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

Hello everyone! Im struggling to decide if I want to put Littlefoot into hibernation.

Ive tried to contact my vet, but he hasnt gotten back to me and Im scared to put him into hibernation even though he is trying to shut down. Littlefoot has been burrowing down and sleeping for days. I know they go into hibernation around this time but havent hibernated him yet. Hes sleeping right now and Im not sure if i should wake him, or let him sleep. Hes burrowed down into his coconut coir and has been fed everyday. he still eats if i wake him, but hasnt wanted to stay active. What should i do to make sure he'll be okay for hibernation, and if I should hibernate him or not.

Thank you.