Back After Almost Three Years

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

Hi there,

I´m from Germany near Cologne, getting 70 at the end of the year. I haven´t been here since August 2018. In the meantime I reduced the number of my tortoises.

With much luck I found a middle-aged couple with a garden, 120 m². They are happy with four of my male tortoises. I am still a bit sad and I still miss them, even after two years. Richard, a male Graeca ibera, very old, in Germany since 1960/61 and a male Hermanni boettgeri, in Germany since 1964, old animals who spent their youth in Greece or in Turkey.

I was very much worried about what would happen to them, if I -one day- cannot care for them any more. Together with the two oldies two male youngsters (2010), which lived together with the oldies, moved into the new garden. There were no fights here and there are no fights in the new garden. Wonderful, makes me happy, even when I´m sad.

Last year, three female Greek tortoises, Hermanni boettgeri, moved to a nice lady in a garden of 80 m². The biggest one, Biggi, which I got from an animals home more than 20 years ago, must be kept away from any male tortoise, for she was injured by a male one. And the risk to get injured again, will be lifelong. With her, two youngsters, hatched 2007, moved gardens.

Both groups have a very good -how do you call it?- vegetable-glas-house? with the possibility to spend the winter in the ground, just as it was here in my garden. I am so satisfied.

You remember perhaps, I´v been keeping tortoises for more than 40 years now. I have many stories to tell. So people sometimes asked me why I don´t write a book about my tortoises. AND I DID!

Here is a link, which leads you to other links:

https://www.testudowelt.de/?p=14070

There is an E-book, too.

https://www.bod.de/b...r-9783751911887

Of course, I have written in German. There are many photos. I don´t write only about my tortoises but also about the needed documents, about male and female and how they behave in groups, about hibernation and food. Sometimes the tortoises tell their special story.

If you like, you can order a book right here at my email-address: loremu@arcor.de

I´d like to sign it for you and write private words for you, if you tell me what you wish me to write down.

As the postage to UK is much higher than for sending within Germany, I would like to ask you for an addition of 1,70 € to the book-price of 24,68 €.

Well, by now, I still have my old Hermann, Thb, a little male one (hatched 2010) and nine female Thb, the youngest hatched 2010. For most of them, I found already a future keeper, for the time, when I can´t care for them anymore.

Because of the cold and wet springtime this year, all the plants for food have grown phantastically. So I go and look for plants to feed only twice or three times a week in nature, in a school-yard and on a cemetry. Very relaxed tortoise-keeping :)

I´m looking forward to reading here in this forum regularly again.

See you!

Germanlady

#2 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:43 PM

Welcome back,

What a great story.

Really pleased to hear that you have found new loving homes for some of your torts.

I think you always worry (i do) that nobody will look after them like we do, living outside and enjoying as much natural life as we can give them..

Take Care and good luck.

Carol

#3 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

Hi

Just to let you know that I think a lot of the people that were on here have unfortunately gone on to facebook. One of the groups is The Friendly Hermanns Tortoise Owners club but their are quite a few on Facebook.

I am not a fan of Facebook

Thanks

Carol

#4 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:28 AM

I don´t "work" with fb either. But I am very active in the German/Austrian forum:

https://www.landschildkroeten-forum.eu

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:04 PM

That’s a lovely story Germanlady. I too am 70 now and having to think about downsizing as they are obviously going to live longer than I am. I’m getting offers, but from unsuitable owners, offering small pens, no heating, indoor tables etc etc. You are lucky to have found a good home for some of your males. Whereabouts in Germany are you? Have you read Editha Krügers papers? Very interesting and lovely enclosures.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:40 PM

Hi

Just to let you know that I think a lot of the people that were on here have unfortunately gone on to facebook. One of the groups is The Friendly Hermanns Tortoise Owners club but their are quite a few on Facebook.

I am not a fan of Facebook

Thanks

Carol

Me neither Carol......Tortsmad tortoise care is a friendly group though, even if I do say so myself. Reece and Nicola keep an eye on things daily and give good advice.

#7 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:44 PM

As I wrote before, I´m from the Cologne-area. I don´t know Editha personally, but from forums which closed some years ago. I contacted her privately many years ago, because she is an expert in Graecas. At that time, I got two very old Graecas and asked her for their gender.

I don´t know which papers you mean. But I would definitely love to read them. Do you have a link?

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:09 AM

Let me see if I still have them. I remember years ago extolling the virtues of humid hides, deep substrate etc etc and then saw a post on a Tortoise Trust Forum saying this was dangerous information. How I laugh when I see they are now giving out the same advice. I bet they don’t credit myself or Editha with the knowledge though. Haha

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 June 2021 - 09:28 AM

Here we are ...... http://graeca-home.de/

#10 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

Thanks! Well, years ago I visited her website.

Horsfieldiis are kept relatively dry compared to mediterranian tortoises. Perhaps this caused some confusion.

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 June 2021 - 04:16 PM

Thanks! Well, years ago I visited her website.

Horsfieldiis are kept relatively dry compared to mediterranian tortoises. Perhaps this caused some confusion.

Horsfields have the same humidity requirements as the Med species. Humidity is surprisingly high in the tunnels that they live in, even though the conditions surrounding the area are pretty dry. My horsfields lived outdoors in U.K. and hibernated naturally too. They did have covered areas but preferred the outdoors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users