NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:30 PM

Hi

Hope everyone is well.

Shelly is eating really well and enjoying the sunshine.

Can I just ask: Shelly seems to be putting 4 grams a month on, is this enough. she seems fit and looks really healthy, she is charging all over the garden lol..which is great to see.

Thanks

Carol

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

How old is Shelly? Weight gain varies throughout the year and depending on size/age etc. The best way to judge growth is to look at the bands of new growth. These should be no wider than a thin pencil line up to adulthood. If you put a picture up it will be easy to assess if it’s too much or too little :)

#3 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

Hope I have attached the photos ok..

She is about 12 years old now.

Attached File  IMG_0857.JPG   76.95KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0861.JPG   57.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0858.JPG   71.07KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0867.JPG   41.83KB   0 downloads

#4 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:52 AM

Attached File  IMG_0869.JPG   66.44KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0872.JPG   58.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0870.JPG   67.12KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0874.JPG   58.93KB   0 downloads

Thought these pics might be a bit better lol

Thanks

Carol

#5 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:15 PM

Hi Carol,

at this age, it makes no sense to control the weight of any tortoise monthly when it is healthy and fit and eats.

In springtime the tortoises eat a lot. Females build eggs. They put on weight, they grow, when they are young. After laying the eggs they loose weight.

From July on they are lazy, all work is done, eggs are led. Now they eat less and often they begin to loose weight. In autumn they loose much weight, because they almost empty their testines.

The weight of male ones does not vary that much, because they don´t build and lay eggs :wink:

I made photos of such bright growth lines, but I don´t know how and where to add them here.

#6 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:58 PM

Hi

I don't control her weight she is out in the garden and eats whenever she wants, I was just wondering if her condition was ok as I am a bit of a worrier.

I wasn't sure whether to get her a female companion as she literately runs to us and anyone she sees or hears in the garden, but we have to watch her as she bites feet, toes and shoes :ohmy: so I was wondering if she was lonely. 

At one point I thought she was a male as she seemed to get a little amorous with a fluffy toy left out in the garden. is that normal?

Carol

she is so funny.

#7 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:56 PM

To see if she is male or female, you can show us a photo of the tail, so that we can see it from the side with the sewer.

As for weighing, I understood, you weigh her monthly and the result is 4 g plus every month.

#8 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

Morning

There is a pic at the top that shows her tail from the side. Can you tell from that.

Thanks

Carol

#9 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:35 PM

Ah, yes, you are right. And I see, it´s a Mister Shelly. So quite normal, when he tries to make things happy instead of a female tortoise.

#10 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:08 PM

Thankyou, I thought she was a he as he was getting older.

I have only had him about 4 years as the person who got him couldn't look after him anymore. He was on a tortoise table for about 8 years before we got him, now he lives outside until its time to hibernate.

I will have to rename him lol - maybe storming Norman as he storms around the garden, might be better off leaving him on his own with him being a male.

Sue will probably verify what you have said.

Thanks again

Carol

#11 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:33 PM

Yes, leave him on his own. It´s no problem.

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:14 PM

He’s fine Carol. The previous growth from before you had him is not good. I’d concentrate on high calcium intake and lots of sunshine. In long periods of bad weather, give added vit D too, either in the form of uv tubes or vit D supplement. Sorry for late reply, for some reason the forum keeps logging me out, so I don’t get notifications.

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:15 PM

[quote name="NANACAZ" post="69259" timestamp="1623783520"]
Hi

I don't control her weight she is out in the garden and eats whenever she wants, I was just wondering if her condition was ok as I am a bit of a worrier.

I wasn't sure whether to get her a female companion as she literately runs to us and anyone she sees or hears in the garden, but we have to watch her as she bites feet, toes and shoes :ohmy: so I was wondering if she was lonely. 

At one point I thought she was a male as she seemed to get a little amorous with a fluffy toy left out in the garden. is that normal?

Carol

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:17 PM

Hi

Carol

she is so funny.

Apologies.....sorry Stormin ;)

#15 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:50 AM

No problem Sue :)

All this time we thought he was a she :rolleyes: thats what we were told. it was only when he was storming around the garden, following us around etc that i looked and thought surely she is a he.

Like i said he was on a table for 8 years and fed mainly on dry pellets :(. I couldn't have left him there.

Hes eaten only weeds since we have had him and I have some Vit D now, he has the run of the whole garden from his house so he comes and goes in and out whenever he wants, which we have had to make tort proof as they are great escape artist as you all know.

I assume he will be ok on his own, he loves company though but tends to bite toes, ankles and feet.. :laugh:

Someone in our area has lost their tort of 14 years, somehow it got out and they still haven't found it after 3 weeks, I dont know the person but I feel so sorry for her, 

Keep safe and well, I wish people would come back to this forum I miss seeing the names and whats happening to their torts.

Carol

#16 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:27 PM

Sometimes, when it is hot weather, tortoises dig themselves in the ground, where it is wet and colder. They prefer the area around the roots of plants. After weeks, the tortoise would come out and the keeper finds it somewhere warming up in the sun as if nothing had happened.

So, there is a chance....

#17 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

No problem Sue :)

All this time we thought he was a she :rolleyes: thats what we were told. it was only when he was storming around the garden, following us around etc that i looked and thought surely she is a he.

Like i said he was on a table for 8 years and fed mainly on dry pellets :(. I couldn't have left him there.

Hes eaten only weeds since we have had him and I have some Vit D now, he has the run of the whole garden from his house so he comes and goes in and out whenever he wants, which we have had to make tort proof as they are great escape artist as you all know.

I assume he will be ok on his own, he loves company though but tends to bite toes, ankles and feet.. :laugh:

Someone in our area has lost their tort of 14 years, somehow it got out and they still haven't found it after 3 weeks, I dont know the person but I feel so sorry for her, 

Keep safe and well, I wish people would come back to this forum I miss seeing the names and whats happening to their torts.

Carol

To add a female to the equation Carol would be a disaster as he would never leave her alone and she would suffer to the extent that you would have to separate them. A male tortoise needs several females and even then needs somewhere to chill out occasionally. Sadly Facebook has ruined the usefulness of forums. I’ve left Facebook as there is no control over the bad advice given right left and centre. People get very cross and even threatening if you don’t agree with all the terrible advice. Luckily there is nothing like that here and on most forums. Sign of the times sadly :(

#18 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the advice Sue,

I thought about it when I thought she was a she :) but now he is a male I understand that it would be a very bad idea.

Do males live happily together.. just out of interest..I am not planning on getting another one as I am 63 and its enough worry looking after the one I have especially when its time to hibernate.

I do feel sorry for him sometimes charging around the garden after us :rolleyes:

I dont use Facebook either lets stay on here yehh.

Carol x

#19 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:03 AM

If they have always been together and never come into contact with females they are usually fine Carol. They are more likely to fight if confined too. Bringing a new male in though is almost always a problem. Sometimes wish I had less as they will outlive me and it’s going to be a grim task rehoming them when the time comes. Had to log into Facebook this week to sell some items, nothing’s changed, still a place that saps your energy and where people seem happy to spread rubbish, lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users